Disney Channel Is Coming to Russia
The Walt Disney Company has made a deal to begin broadcast its children's programming to over three quarters of Russian homes.
Mickey Mouse is headed to Russia as the Walt Disney Company makes moves to introduce the Disney Channel to the country.
The New York Times reports Disney is acquiring 49 percent of SevenTV, a channel that reaches more than three quarters of Russian homes, and will rebrand it as the Disney Channel. American programs such as Mickey Mouse Clubhouse will be aired on the channel alongside Russian-made children's shows.
The Disney Channel is currently seen in 168 countries and territories and broadcast in 35 languages. But though the company has had a tiny cable channel in Russia for years, it has never had the broad exposure it enjoys with the Disney Channel in other countries, largely because of governmental restrictions on foreign media.
Disney's move to heighten its exposure on Russian TV will give the entertainment company a larger footprint in the country, through which it hopes to drum up increased interest in its movies, theme parks and consumer products. In recent years, Disney has already seen an increase in the ticket sales for its films, notably the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Underage Boy
- Jennifer Lopez is a Sexy Slice of Orange on 'American Idol'!
- Mila Kunis & Olivia Wilde Take Us on an Emotional Roller Coaster in 'Third Person' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Justin Bieber Makes Time to Show His Gratitude To Fans in Beverly Hills!