Disney Dates Musical 'Into the Woods' Opposite 'Annie' in December 2014
The studio positions Tom Hanks' "Savings Mr. Banks" for an awards run this winter and announces a "Planes" sequel for summer 2014; two untitled Marvel pics set for 2016 and 2017.
Rob Marshall’s Into the Woods will be released on Christmas Day 2014 -- putting it directly opposite Sony's high-profile Annie.
Into the Woods was among a slew of new release dates or release date changes announced Thursday by Disney, including for Walt Disney biopic Savings Mr. Banks, starring Tom Hanks. The film retains its Dec. 20, 2013, wide release, but will now open on limited screens the week prior, on Dec. 13, placing it in prime position for awards season.
The Muppets sequel also got a final title -- Muppets Most Wanted -- but its release date of March 21, 2014, remains unchanged.
The studio also officially announced a sequel to the animated Planes, which open Aug. 9 of this year. Planes: Fire & Rescue is scheduled to hit theaters in 3D on July 18, 2014.
Steve Carell and Jennifer Garner’s Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day has secured an Oct. 10, 2014, release, while Lasse Hallstrom’s The Hundred-Foot Journey, produced by Steven Spielberg, Oprah Winfrey and Juliet Blake, has been dated for Aug. 8, 2014.
The studio has shifted the release date for Brad Bird's Tomorrowland, starring George Clooney and Hugh Laurie, to Dec. 12, 2014, up a week from its original Dec. 19 date.
Finally, Disney and Marvel Studios have set two untitled Marvel Films for May 6, 2016, and May 5, 2017. Additional details regarding the Marvel projects are expected to be forthcoming.
The Avengers 2, meanwhile, remains unchanged and is scheduled to open on May 1, 2015.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'