Disney Junior Toys in Line for Big Christmas
Cargo ships stocked with goods inspired by "Doc McStuffins" and "Sofia the First" have arrived on U.S. shores.
Walt Disney should score big this Christmas with sales of toys based on a couple of its Disney Junior TV shows: Doc McStuffins and Sofia the First.
Panjiva, a company that tracks shipments of giant cargo containers into the U.S., says that from August to October, the months when stores stock up for the Christmas gift-giving season, items based on both of those shows arrived in droves, mostly from China and Hong Kong.
Panjiva says 521 cargo containers stuffed with Doc McStuffins gear landed in the U.S. during those months while 364 containers arrived with Sofia the First items. Those totals were enough to land both those properties in Panjiva’s expected top 10 list of toys for the season.
Doc McStuffins is a show about a little girl whose toys come to life when no one else is around, and in each episode she must cure some ailment that one of them is suffering from. According to the markings on the cargo containers, some popular Doc McStuffins items will include a doctor’s bag, sleeping bags and some of the lead character’s favorite stuffed animals, like Lambie, Hallie Hippo and Stuffy.
Sofia the First is about a little girl who suddenly becomes a princess because her mother marries a king. Some of the popular items shipped over the summer include Sofia’s royal tiara, a “cuddle pillow,” her royal shoes, the castle she lives in and her talking school desk.
Doc McStuffins premiered in March 2012 and the number of cargo containers soared 480 percent this year compared to last, a testament to the show's growing popularity. Sofia the First premiered in November 2012, and Panjiva says no containers arrived between August and October last year with goods based on the show.
Some of the containers can weigh 10,000 kilograms and more, says Panjiva CEO Josh Green.
“Our data shows what retailers are betting on, but what consumers actually buy, only time will tell,” he says.
This year’s top 10 list from Panjiva is:
- Monster High
- Doc McStuffins
- Sofia the First
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!