Disney/Pixar 'Brave' Premiere To Mark Grand Opening Of The Dolby Theatre
Premiere will use Dolby 3D. A test mix of "Brave" in Dolby's new Atmos sound format will be created, though it is unconfirmed if it will be ready for the opening.
Disney/Pixar Brave's world premiere will mark the grand opening of Hollywood’s Dolby Theatre.
The June 18 premiere is a special presentation for Film Independent’s 2012 Los Angeles Film Festival.
Earlier this month, it was revealed that the home of the Academy Awards at Hollywood & Highland will be rebranded the Dolby Theatre and that the 180,000-square-foot, 3,400-seat venue would be upgraded to support new Dolby technologies including Dolby 3D and Atmos.
The Brave premiere will be screened with the Dolby 3D system. At press time it was unconfirmed if Atmos—the new sound format introduced last month at CinemaCon—would be debuted.
Lucasfilm's Skywalker Sound is already Atmos ready to accommodate a test mix of Brave, a Dolby spokesperson told The Hollywood Reporter. There, seven-time Oscar winner Gary Rydstrom is serving as sound designer and re-recording mixer on the project.
Dolby aims to install the Atmos sound system in up to 15 theaters worldwide for a Brave test run.
Atmos was developed to create “lifelike” and “immersive” sound and involves the placement of speakers all around an auditorium as well as across the ceiling. The system is designed to transmit up to 128 simultaneous and lossless audio channels, and renders from 5.1 up to 64 discrete speaker feeds, according to Dolby.
“With a spirited heroine and enchanting setting in the ancient Scottish Highlands, Brave represents some exciting firsts for Pixar,” said Ricky Strauss, president, marketing, The Walt Disney Studios.
The film opens in 2D and 3D on June 22.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10