Disney settles wrongful death suit

Empty

The family of a woman who died two months after riding the "Indiana Jones Adventure" at Disneyland reached a settlement with The Walt Disney Co. in a wrongful death lawsuit.

Attorney Barry Novack, who represents the family, said a confidentiality agreement prevented him from disclosing the terms of the settlement reached on Dec. 29. Pretrial motions had been scheduled for Thursday.

"The case has been settled and the terms will not be disclosed," Rob Doughty, vice president of communications for Disneyland Resort said Thursday in a written statement.

"Safety always has been, and continues to be, our top priority," he said.

Cristina Moreno, 23, of Barcelona, Spain, complained of a severe headache after getting off the ride in 2000. She was hospitalized the same evening after losing consciousness, according to the lawsuit.

She died two months later from a brain aneurysm, the lawsuit states.

Moreno, who had traveled to California on her honeymoon with her new husband, ran up more than $1.3 million in medical expenses in Spain before she died in September 2000.

The lawsuit alleged that Disney pushed the "envelope to the extreme" in designing the attraction, known for being fast, turbulent and combining the ups and downs of a roller coaster.

Attorneys for Disney have maintained the attraction was safe, and that the woman's death was unrelated to the ride that opened in March 1995.
comments powered by Disqus