Disney XD's 'Ultimate Spider-Man' Serving as Platform for Literacy Initiative (Video)
The "Marvel Comics Close-Up" interstitials will hit TV screens during the animated series' supersized Jan. 21 premiere.
Disney XD is pushing out its "Marvel Comics Close-Up" initiative, utilizing the supersized season premiere of Ultimate Spider-Man to debut interstitials featuring Kickin' It's Dylan Riley Snyder and Marvel's chief creative officer Joe Quesada to promote literacy.
The Hollywood Reporter has a first look at one of the interstitials that will play during the Jan. 21 return of the animated series, with the duo informing Disney XD viewers about the various Marvel comic book characters and stories. The interstitials will delve deeper into 10 different comics.
"By tapping in to amazing and relatable Marvel Comics stories, both classic and new, our goal is to inspire kids to become enthusiastic, lifelong readers especially when they discover a great story or engaging book itself is the ultimate reward," said David Levine, vp and general manager of Disney XD Worldwide. "We're pleased to have the opportunity to join the caring community of First Book and, with the support of our sister ABC stations, make a book donation to kids across the country."
"Each week, Ultimate Spider-Man encourages viewers to study hard, stay in school and constantly learn more — the same super heroic principles behind 'Marvel Comics Close-Up,' " said Jeph Loeb, Marvel evp and head of television. "With the second season premiere of Ultimate Spider-Man on Jan. 21, we're kicking off a long term initiative to promote literacy to our fans with the most action packed, exciting, family friendly comics you'll find in this universe or any other."
The inititiative makes its official debut at a Jan. 12 event with Snyder, Drake Bell, Olivia Holt, Adam Hicks, Cole Jensen and Karan Brar at the Burbank Public Library.
The Ultimate Spider-Man premieres Jan. 21 at 7 p.m. on Disney XD.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder Is Definitely the Hottest Paper Boy at LAX Airport!
- Katie Couric Flexes Her Muscles & She's Buffer Than You'd Imagine!
- Ariana Grande to Debut New Single 'Problem' at Radio Disney Music Awards! (Exclusive)
- Jason Derulo Rips Off His Shirt After Jordin Sparks Joins Him for Passionate Duet 'Vertigo'! (Video)