Disneyland's Toontown Evacuated After Explosion
UPDATED: Authorities say a bomb squad is responding to the blast, which appears to have involved dry ice.
Police evacuated Disneyland's Toontown early Tuesday night after a report of an explosion in that section of the theme park, an Anaheim Police Department spokesman told The Los Angeles Times.
The blast appears to have involved dry ice that had been placed inside a plastic bottle, Sgt. Bob Dunn said, adding: "As a precaution we have evacuated Toontown."
Officers were gathering evidence at the scene, and a bomb squad from the Orange County Sheriff's Department was responding.
"This afternoon, a small bang was heard in a trash can at Mickey's Toontown," a Disneyland spokesperson told The Hollywood Reporter late Tuesday. "In an abundance of caution, we evacuated Toontown to allow local authorities the opportunity to investigate."
No injuries were sustained, nor was any damage done inside the park. Toontown was reopened as of 7:30 p.m.
Some theme park-goers hit Twitter to weigh in on the incident.
"Was sitting in Toontown at Disneyland and something exploded in the trash can. I felt the sound waves of it and Toontown is closed," wrote Shawna Gonzales.
Dunn has not yet responded to THR's requests for comment.
The news comes on the heels of several recent bomb scares in Southern California, including a bomb threat called in at Cal State Los Angeles' campus and another at KTLA's Hollywood studios last month, both of which followed the bombing at the Boston Marathon that resulted in three deaths and at least 265 injuries.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10