Disneyland's Toontown Evacuated After Explosion
UPDATED: Authorities say a bomb squad is responding to the blast, which appears to have involved dry ice.
Police evacuated Disneyland's Toontown early Tuesday night after a report of an explosion in that section of the theme park, an Anaheim Police Department spokesman told The Los Angeles Times.
The blast appears to have involved dry ice that had been placed inside a plastic bottle, Sgt. Bob Dunn said, adding: "As a precaution we have evacuated Toontown."
Officers were gathering evidence at the scene, and a bomb squad from the Orange County Sheriff's Department was responding.
"This afternoon, a small bang was heard in a trash can at Mickey's Toontown," a Disneyland spokesperson told The Hollywood Reporter late Tuesday. "In an abundance of caution, we evacuated Toontown to allow local authorities the opportunity to investigate."
No injuries were sustained, nor was any damage done inside the park. Toontown was reopened as of 7:30 p.m.
Some theme park-goers hit Twitter to weigh in on the incident.
"Was sitting in Toontown at Disneyland and something exploded in the trash can. I felt the sound waves of it and Toontown is closed," wrote Shawna Gonzales.
Dunn has not yet responded to THR's requests for comment.
The news comes on the heels of several recent bomb scares in Southern California, including a bomb threat called in at Cal State Los Angeles' campus and another at KTLA's Hollywood studios last month, both of which followed the bombing at the Boston Marathon that resulted in three deaths and at least 265 injuries.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead