Official: Disney's 'Lone Ranger' Sets May 31, 2013 Release Date
UPDATED: THR first detailed how the movie’s creatives agreed to reduce their fees; Disney also pushes back "Thor 2" from summer 2013 to Nov. 15, 2013, "Phineas and Ferb" takes "Thor's" old slot of July 26, 2013.
It's official: Disney's Lone Ranger has set a May 31, 2013 release date, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
Budget negotiations caused the film to miss its original autumn start date.
But the Western, which was originally budgeted at $250 million, has been cut down to $215 million. As THR first reported, the creatives involved will reduce their fees: no $20 million for Johnny Depp, no $10 million apiece for producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Gore Verbinski, as is their norm on tentpoles.
A source also says the filmmakers will sacrifice their back-end participation if the film comes in over budget, a significant incentive to run a tight ship.
The studio tells THR in a statement: "Johnny Depp, Jerry Bruckheimer and Gore Verbinski are such a talented combination and we're thrilled to get back to work with them on The Lone Ranger, an original and exciting new Disney adventure."
Disney also announced that Thor 2 will be moved to Nov. 15, 2013 from July 26, 2013, and Phineas and Ferb will hit theaters on July 26, 2013.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera