Dolby Breaks A Sound Barrier
As "Brave" reaches out to moviegoers' ears from all directions, the audio company ups the ante with a new system that can express 128 sounds all at once.
In an early scene in Disney/Pixar's Brave, the young princess Merida is learning to master archery when, after missing her target, she wanders into a nearby forest to retrieve an arrow. Using the immersive new Dolby Atmos sound format, seven-time Oscar-winning sound designer and re-recording mixer Gary Rydstrom was able to put the audience inside Merida's head as she hears the arrow take flight then notices threatening sounds in the treetops.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR