Donald Trump Expected to Endorse GOP Presidential Hopeful in Vegas (Report)
UPDATED: The real-estate mogul and face of NBC's "Celebrity Apprentice" is expected to announce his support for a GOP presidential contender.
Donald Trump, king of self-hyped press conferences, is going to grab his giant megaphone Thursday afternoon and broadcast something grandiose about the 2012 competition for president.
In typical Trump form, the real estate tycoon issued an official statement on Twitter teasing a "major announcement" happening at the Trump International Hotel & Tower in Las Vegas, circa 12:30 p.m. PST.
"The announcement will pertain to the Presidential race," said the spotlight-loving businessman and host of NBC's The Celebrity Apprentice, adding: "All media welcome."
According to The Associated Press, Trump is expected to endorse none other than Newt Gingrich as the Republican nominee for president, following in the footsteps of Sarah Palin, who recently gave her support for the former House speaker. The news outlet cited "a source close to the Gingrich campaign" as confirming Trump's endorsement.
But wait! In a separate scoop on Thursday morning, CNN reported that Trump was endorsing Gingrich rival Mitt Romney.
The GOP presidential battle continues Saturday with the Nevada caucuses. Gingrich lost the Florida primary to frontrunner Romney after winning South Carolina.
Trump publicly mulled a run for president last year before pulling his name out of the hat. (But Trump being Trump, he managed to stir up political scandal with his public statements questioning President Obama's birth certificate.)
"He is always interesting," Gingrich told reporters of the reality-TV mogul on Wednesday. "And I don't know of anybody who does a better job of getting attention by announcing that he will presently announce something."
The upcoming installment of Trump's Celebrity Apprentice franchise premieres Feb. 19. wiith Clay Aiken, Arsenio Hall and Bravo's The Real Housewives of New Jersey troublemaker Teresa Guidice among the cast members.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama