Donald Trump: I Will Not Be Running for President
"This decision does not come easily or without regret; especially when my potential candidacy continues to be validated by ranking at the top of the Republican contenders in polls across the country," he says in a statement.
Donald Trump announced Monday that he has decided not to run for president.
"I will not be running for president," he announced from the podium at the NBC Upfront presentation, held at NYC's Hilton Hotel.
The news followed NBC boss Bob Greenblatt's praise of Celebrity Apprentice, which has seen its ratings climb this season. "The crazier the celebrities, the higher the ratings," quipped Greenblatt nearly two hours into his first NBC upfront presentation to advertisers. Read Kim Masters' live blog.
Making it that much more official, Trump released a statement about his move. "This decision does not come easily or without regret; especially when my potential candidacy continues to be validated by ranking at the top of the Republican contenders in polls across the country," he reads. Read the full statement on page two.
How far the billionaire-turned-TV personality would have gotten is an open question. His decision to run generated as much controversy as it did ink in recent months. Demanding to see President Barack Obama's long-form birth certificate, for instance, had many accusing Trump of being racist . Both his actions and his unforgiving persona have earned him a growing list of Hollywood enemies.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama