Donald Trump to Moderate GOP Debate
The real estate mogul and former presidential hopeful was tapped by conservative media company Newsmax to host a Republican presidential debate Dec. 27.
Donald Trump may not have been successful in his bid for a Republican presidential nomination, but NBC's The Apprentice host has found another way to get involved with the race.
Newsmax Media, a conservative magazine and website, has tapped Trump to moderate a presidential debate in Des Moines, IA Dec. 27, the New York Times reports.
“Our readers and the grass roots really love Trump,” Christopher Ruddy, chief executive of Newsmax Media, told the paper. “They may not agree with him on everything, but they don’t see him as owned by the Washington establishment, the media establishment.”
The Republican candidate participants have not yet been named. Candidates were sent their debate invitation Friday, the same day Trump's moderatorship was announced.
Some of the presidential hopefuls have already met with Trump this year. Gov. Rick Perry dined with him Sept. 14. Michelle Bachmann has sat down with him on several occasions and Mitt Romney met with him privately in Sept.
The real-estate mogul explored a possible White House bid earlier this year before ultimately announcing he would not run in May.
"This decision does not come easily or without regret; especially when my potential candidacy continues to be validated by ranking at the top of the Republican contenders in polls across the country," he said in a statement at the time.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama