Donna Summer Remix Album Due in October
The release will include remixes from Giorgio Moroder, Frankie Knuckles and Eric Kupper.
The legacy of the late Donna Summer continues to live on, as a new remix album celebrating the diva's career is due out in October.
"Love to Love You Donna" will be released on Oct. 22 through Verve Records, and is produced by Dahlia-Ambach Caplin and Randall Poster. The project features new re-workings of classic Summer tunes from the likes of Giorgio Moroder, Frankie Knuckles, Eric Kupper, Chromeo & Oliver and Hot Chip, among others.
The legendary Moroder, who co-produced most of Summer's albums released between 1975 and 1980, contributes a pulsating remix of "Love to Love You Baby" for the project. Moroder recently premiered the cut live during his DJ set at the Way Out West festival in Gothenberg, Sweden (Aug. 9). Moroder co-wrote the song with Summer, and it became her first hit single on the Billboard Hot 100, reaching No. 2 on the chart in February of 1976.
Knuckles and Kupper reworked "Hot Stuff" for the collection, while Hot Chip took on the classic album cut "Sunset People," from the "Bad Girls" album. The new set's first single is Chromeo & Oliver's remix of "Love Is In Control (Finger On the Trigger)."
A full track list for the album will be announced soon.
The project came together at Verve because of the long friendship between David Foster (Verve Music Group's Chairman) and Summer's family, says Mike Rittberg, Verve/Universal Music Group's VP of artist development/promotion. The set was initially conceived as a "tribute" album, but soon turned into a full-on remix project.
"Love to Love You Donna" is not -- at this point -- part of a longer-term, multi-album deal with Summer's estate and Verve Records.
Summer earned a total of 32 hit singles on the Hot 100 in her lifetime, with 14 of those reaching the top 10, before she passed away in May 2012. She claimed a top 40 hit every year from 1976 and 1984, and between 1976 and the end of 1982, she had more top 10 hits (12) than any other act.
Her biggest singles include her four Hot 100 No. 1s: "MacArthur Park," "Hot Stuff," "Bad Girls" and "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)" with Barbra Streisand.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game