DreamWorks buys Ruben Fleischer project
Untitled cop comedy will be director's 'Zombieland' follow-up
DreamWorks has won the bidding war for an untitled action comedy pitch, with "Zombieland" director Ruben Fleischer attached to direct.
Mike Arnold and Chris Poole are writing the project, which is based on an idea by Fleischer. Nicholas Stoller, who directed "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" and the upcoming "Get Him to the Greek," is producing with Gavin Polone, who produced Fleischer's "Zombieland."
The logline is being kept under wraps, although it is known to be a buddy cop comedy.
The project went out late last week, with bidding heating up over the weekend. Universal, Fox and Warner Bros. all bid on the property.
The heat the pitch generated underscores the temperature Fleischer is emanating. "Zombieland," released last fall, was well received both critically and commercially but six months later, the director has yet to choose his next project, going against the perceived grain that you should have your next project lined up by the weekend your movie opens (or at least not too long after if it's a hit).
Despite being courted by every major studio and producer -- even Tom Cruise courted the man for "Mission: Impossible IV" -- Fleischer has remained in no hurry to choose his follow-up. One of his options has been "30 Minutes or Less" an MRC comedy to which Danny McBride is negotiations to join as star.
Fleischer, repped by UTA, will also exec produce the action comedy.
Arnold and Poole, repped by CAA and Principato/Young, wrote the action comedy script "The Grackle," set up at New Line with Matthew McConaughey attached to star, as well as "Homeschooled," a DreamWorks project that stayed at Paramount after the two companies parted ways.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder Is Definitely the Hottest Paper Boy at LAX Airport!
- Katie Couric Flexes Her Muscles & She's Buffer Than You'd Imagine!
- Ariana Grande to Debut New Single 'Problem' at Radio Disney Music Awards! (Exclusive)
- Jason Derulo Rips Off His Shirt After Jordin Sparks Joins Him for Passionate Duet 'Vertigo'! (Video)