DreamWorks to Remake Japanese Cannes Jury Prize Winner 'Like Father, Like Son'
Hirokazu Kore-eda's family drama caught Steven Spielberg's eye at the Cannes Film Festival this year, where he presided over the jury.
TOKYO – DreamWorks has acquired remake rights to Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda's Like Father, Like Son after the babies-swapped-at-birth story caught the eye of Steven Spielberg at Cannes this year, where it was awarded the Jury Prize.
Spielberg, who was president of the jury at Cannes, has not announced who will direct the U.S. remake. The Japanese film, which stars Masaharu Fukuyama, was produced by Fuji TV, Amuse Inc. and GAGA.
Following Cannes, there was much chatter that DreamWorks could pick up the remake rights to the film, and over the weekend, the two sides made the deal official.
"When I saw the film at Cannes, I was so impressed by its power to bring such a human story to the screen. Here at DreamWorks Studios, [CEO] Stacey [Snider] and our team recognized that it was a story we wanted to remake to bring to our audiences throughout the world," said Spielberg in a statement. "I thank Hirokazu Kore-eda and Fuji TV for giving us this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."
"I am honored that a company such as DreamWorks will be developing my film for American audiences. I'm looking forward to working with Steven Spielberg, for whom I have great admiration," said Kore-eda.
Like Father, Like Son (Soshite Chichi ni Naru) opened in Japan on Sept. 28, released by GAGA, which will handle international sales along with Wild Bunch.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Captain America' Conquers Box Office For Third Straight Week
- Jordin Sparks' Wears A Bikini To The Opening Of Tao Beach, Jason Derulo Joins Her In Gym Clothes
- Watch Bruce Springsteen Cover Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl'
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Justin Bartha & Lia Smith Reportedly Welcome Baby Girl!
- Idina Menzel Sings 'Take Me or Leave Me' with Two Lucky Fans for Charity - Watch Now!
- Vanessa Hudgens Sees Hearts While Dancing at Coachella!
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress