'Drop Dead Diva' heading to France's M6
'Diva' premiered on French cable net Teva in May
CANNES -- Lifetime's "Drop Dead Diva" will be reborn on French broadcaster M6 after a run on that territory's cable network Teva, Sony Pictures Television confirmed on Wednesday.
"Diva" has been picked up for a 13-episode third season on "Lifetime" and will premiere on M6 in France on Oct. 20th.
The show's star Brooke Elliott will be in Paris next week to promote the series about a shallow former model who dies in a car accident then finds herself reborn in the body of a brilliant, plus-sized attorney.
"Cable shows tend to go the distance," Sony's president of International Distribution Keith Le Goy said of the fact that a U.S. cable series was picked up by one of France's main broadcasters.
He added: "They're the ones telling really groundbreaking, interesting stories."
Sony has also seen a strong response worldwide to U.S. cable show Showtime's "The Big C" and AMC's "Breaking Bad."
"It's poised for a real breakout," Le Goy said of the Emmy-winning "Bad," pointing out that does 40% better in the ratings than "Mad Men" whose stars have been strolling the Croisette all week promoting that show. "Diva" premiered on Teva in May in France.
- The Epic Disney Blow-Up of 1994
- Mickey Rooney's Final Days Marred by Bizarre Family Feud
- Why Stephen Colbert Is the Perfect David Letterman Replacement
- 'The Normal Heart's' 30-Year Journey From Barbra Streisand to Ryan Murphy
- T.D. Jakes on Bringing God to Hollywood and Brushing Off Criticism From Cynics
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Nurse Jackie" Is At Its Most Dramatic This Season
- Non-Newtonian Fluids Rock Out As Stars Of Jack White's New Music Video
- Dave Attell's 'Road Work' & 'Comedy Underground' Bring His Raw, Unfiltered Style Back To TV
- James Cameron: The Scripts For All Three 'Avatar' Sequels Are Almost Done, Plus More Reddit AMA Highlights