E3: Video Game Confab Generates $25 Million in Revenue to Los Angeles
An estimated 46,800 attendees were at this year's event along with celebrities including Kobe Bryant, Ice-T, Jimmy Buffett and Hulk Hogan.
The Electronic Entertainment Association estimates that the 46,800 attendees to this year’s E3 video game convention generated more than $25 million in revenue to the city.
More than 200 exhibitors used the annual convention to showcase the biggest games of the next year, including Activision’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Bethesda Softworks’ Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment’s Batman: Arkham City. Sony and Nintendo used E3 press conferences to debut new game systems PlayStation Vita and Wii U.
There were also celebrities in attendance. Kobe Bryant took the stage to play NBA 2K12during Sony’s press conference, and Jane’s Addiction closed out that event with a concert. Ice-T, who provides voice work for Epic Games’ Gears of War 3, played the game on stage during Microsoft’s press conference. Jimmy Buffett was at THQ’s booth to promote Margaritaville Online. Hulk Hogan walked the convention center halls to drum up awareness for Majesco’s Hulk Hogan Main Event Wrestling Kinect for Xbox 360 game. Rampage Jackson attended Microsoft’s Forza 4party at L.A. Live, where Travis Barker and Beastie Boys DJ Mix Master Mike performed. And Snoop Dogg visited Yoostar Entertainment’s booth to check out Yoostar on MTV, a new game that allows players to insert themselves into MTV TV shows.
The video game industry will return to L.A. the same time next year, June 5-7, 2012.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama