Earthquake Sends Shocks From Washington DC to New York City; Industry Reacts
Stars respond to the 5.9 quake that hit the capitol on Tuesday.
The east coast was rocked on Tuesday afternoon when an unexpected earthquake hit Virginia, clocking in at a magnitude of 5.9 and sending aftershocks all the way to New York City.
PHOTOS: Earthquake on East Coast: Scene from New York and D.C.
According to MSNBC, the Pentagon and Capitol Building in Washington were evacuated. In New York, City Hall was also evacuated following the tremor. The Hollywood Reporter has learned that Discovery Communications, based in Silver Spring, MD, evacuated for the day, though there have been no reports of damage or injuries.
The entertainment industry took to Twitter following the tremors to share their shock and check on the safety of friends and colleagues.
Creative director of Elle Magazine, Joe Zee, wrote, “Everyone’s ok at my @ELLEmagazine office here – clearly, since they’re all tweeting like crazy going down 41 flights of stairs.”
Bravo reality star Bethenny Frankel posted, “I just felt the earth shake at lunch!”
Jill Zarin added, “Just felt earthquake in office on 5th avenue!!! Holy crap!!!”
Carson Daly, who was ironically safe and sound in Los Angeles, tweeted, “Things are rollin in NYC now huh? Welcome to cali.”
Gossip Girl Star Leighton Meester responded to Village Voice’s comment: “Our office is wiggling!”
“Earthquake!! Crazy,” she replied.
Patton Oswalt joked, “Not to panic anyone in NYC, but a screaming John Cusack just drove by in a limo that was missing a door.”
Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine happened to be in DC at the time of the earthquake, posting “It’s a particularly beautiful day in our nation’s capital” just a few hours prior.
“Happy to have been here for the most freakish earthquake Washington DC has ever seen,” he later added. “Looks like we brought our California earthquake mojo to DC. Oops.”
Amid rumors that Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith may be separating, comedian Michael Ian Black wrote, "Will and Jada Smith separate and the earth trembles. This cannot be a coincidence."
Even company Twitter accounts, including People Magazine and MTV.
People wrote, “Hey guys, we definitely felt the earthquake here in NYC!”
MTV added, “DUDE. Totally just felt the earthquake. Hope everyone’s ok!”
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game