Ed Zwick to Direct Tobey Maguire in Bobby Fischer Biopic
Zwick, whose previous film was the romantic comedy "Love and Other Drugs," postponed another project, the supernatural "The Great Wall," to helm the historical drama.
Ed Zwick has boarded Pawn Sacrifice, a biopic of Bobby Fischer to which Tobey Maguire is attached to star as the chess genius, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed..
Maguire is also a producer on the project, which will focus on Fischer’s rise as a chess champion in the 1960s, leading up to the famous match against Soviet player Boris Spassky in 1972, one of the high points of the Cold War.
Maguire is producing via his Material Pictures. Gail Katz is also producing.
Steven Knight wrote the most current draft of the project, which previously had David Fincher attached as director.
Zwick, repped by CAA, last directed Love and Other Drugs. His schedule opened up when The Great Wall, a supernatural period epic project set up Legendary, was delayed while it seeks funding.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR