Ed Zwick to Direct Tobey Maguire in Bobby Fischer Biopic
Zwick, whose previous film was the romantic comedy "Love and Other Drugs," postponed another project, the supernatural "The Great Wall," to helm the historical drama.
Ed Zwick has boarded Pawn Sacrifice, a biopic of Bobby Fischer to which Tobey Maguire is attached to star as the chess genius, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed..
Maguire is also a producer on the project, which will focus on Fischer’s rise as a chess champion in the 1960s, leading up to the famous match against Soviet player Boris Spassky in 1972, one of the high points of the Cold War.
Maguire is producing via his Material Pictures. Gail Katz is also producing.
Steven Knight wrote the most current draft of the project, which previously had David Fincher attached as director.
Zwick, repped by CAA, last directed Love and Other Drugs. His schedule opened up when The Great Wall, a supernatural period epic project set up Legendary, was delayed while it seeks funding.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR