Eddie Murphy: 5 Things to Know About the Oscar Host
The actor has been nominated for an Academy Award, sings -- and "will bring it" to his hosting gig, says producer Brett Ratner.
Oscar show producers Brett Ratner and Don Mischer officially confirmed Tuesday that Eddie Murphy will host the 84th annual show, to be broadcast on ABC on Feb. 26.
Here are a few things to know about Murphy.
1. He's worked with Mischer in the past -- at The Comedy Awards in May, where he was given the Comedy Icon Award by 1,300 comedians. "He was terrific to work with. Did all the press, interviews, stayed late to talk to people afterwards. It was the first time I’ve ever personally worked with him and it was a very positive experience," Mischer tells The Hollywood Reporter.
2. No word yet on if Murphy will sing or dance -- or do any of his famous characters. "We haven’t gone as far as getting into that. Eddie Murphy is going to bring it, that's my opinion," Ratner tells THR. "He knows the meaning of the Oscars and what an impact it has globally. He's going to work really hard and deliver for audiences. That's what he does. I've never seen him on a stage, before a crowd, not be funny. That's what he does. He makes people laugh. Don’t underestimate a genius. Eddie’s not a star by accident."
3. Murphy is the second-highest grossing actor in the U.S. He received Golden Globe nominations for 48 Hours, Beverly Hills Cop, Trading Places and The Nutty Professors. He won in 2007 for playing soul singer James "thunder" Early in Dreamgirls. That role also earned him an Oscar nomination.
4. He grew to fame after becoming a Saturday Night Live cast member from 1980-1984, but began writing standup comedy when he was just 15 years old. In 1982, he made his big-screen debut in 48 hours co-starring Nick Nolte.
5. In addition to acting, he also sings, scoring two notable singles with the Rick James-produced "Party All the Time" and "Put Your Mouth on Me." For the Shrek franchise, he performed "I'm a Believer" and Ricky Martin's "Livin' La Vida Loca" (with co-star Antonio Banderas).
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR