Eddie Murphy's 'A Thousand Words' Among the Worst Reviewed Films in Rotten Tomatoes History
The widely panned comedy earned an incredible score from critics aggregated on the site: Zero.
Eddie Murphy's attempted comeback movie A Thousand Words, made in 2008 and opening March 9, is the first wide-release movie of 2012 to earn a score of zero from the critics aggregated on the site Rotten Tomatoes. The Hollywood Reporter reviewer Frank Scheck calls the film "a tired, formulaic comedy."
The zero score is an historic critical attack that puts Murphy in a special category.
"Since we put a score up for a film with as little as five reviews, there are a lot of very small films that have releases, but for wide releases, there are probably only 3 or 4 dozen [zeroes] going back to the start of the site in 1999," Rottentomatoes editor-in-chief Matt Atchity tells THR. "On the list of the zeroes, it will probably come in at fifth or sixth worst in history, but since reviews are still coming in, it may rank higher (or lower depending on your POV) on that list." Atchity estimates that there are at least 10,000 better-reviewed films on the site.
"Bucky Larson was the worst of the bunch last year, with a zero, and that joins the ranks of other 0% wide releases like Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever, One Missed Call, Benigni's Pinocchio, and Killing Me Softly," says Atchity. Rottentomatoes published a Worst of the Worst list in 2009.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Lupita Nyong'o Hugs Stylist Micaela Erlanger for THR's Top Stylists Issue, Kristen Stewart & More Featured!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!