Edward Snowden Charged With Espionage in Revealing NSA Surveillance Programs
The U.S. has asked Hong Kong to detain the whistle-blower on a provisional arrest warrant.
Federal prosecutors have filed a criminal complaint against National Security Agency whistle-blower Edward Snowden, who leaked several documents about secret surveillance programs earlier this year.
The Washington Post first reported on the indictment Friday, citing anonymous U.S. officials, shortly before the complaint was unsealed.
Snowden has been charged with espionage, theft and conversion of government property. United States officials have asked Hong Kong to detain Snowden on a provisional warrant.
The 29-year-old traveled to Hong Kong last month after leaving his job in Hawaii as a contractor with the NSA with a series of highly classified documents, detailing top-secret surveillance operations in the U.S. and the U.K. On June 9, Snowden revealed himself as the leaker in an interview with The Guardian. He said that he went to Hong Kong because it allowed him the "cultural and legal framework to allow me to work without being immediately detained."
Friday's complaint was filed in the Eastern District of Virginia, where Snowden's former employer, Booz Allen Hamilton, is headquartered.
President Obama addressed the controversial leak in an interview on PBS' Charlie Rose earlier this week.
"What I've asked the intelligence committee to do about this is to see how much of this we can declassify without further compromising the program," he said, adding that "they are in the process of doing so now."
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Sunny Day Real Estate Releases 'Lipton Witch,' First Song In 14 Years
- 'Batman Beyond' Animated Short Premieres At WonderCon In Honor of Franchise's 75th Anniversary
- Here Is A Photo Of Mariah Carey Dressed As A Bunny And Using Nick Cannon As Furniture
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress
- Lea Michele Gets Cozy with Co-Star on Her Music Video Set!
- Madonna Wants Us to Get Behind Her to Start a Love Evolution!
- Calvin Harris Previews Small Sample of Rita Ora's New Single - Listen Now!