Eight Hot Properties on Offer at the Asian Film Market
As Busan's sales event opens, these films stand out as ready to move.
Warriors of the Rainbow: Seediq Bale
Director: Wei Te-sheng
Sales agent: Fortissimo Films
Why it’s hot: Cape No. 7 miracle-maker Wei’s historical epic stormed the Taiwan box office with a NTD474 million ($15.5 million) gross in its first three weeks.
The Flying Swords of Dragon Gate
Director: Tsui Hark
Sales agent: Distribution Workshop
Why it’s hot: Chinese visual master Tsui’s first 3D martial arts extravaganza starring Jet Li. Need we say more?
Lost in Paradise
Director: Vu Ngoc Dang
Sales agent: Fortissimo Films
Why it’s hot: This film has at least two things going for it: edgy subject matter and being from an up and coming movie market. Set for an Oct. 14 domestic Vietnam release and with international rights held by Fortissimo Films, this same-sex love story could find its way to an art house niche for itself, especially in the U.S. and Europe. Produced by BHD-Vietnam Media Corp., Lost is based on a script by director Vu and Luong Manh Hai. Vu’s film had its world premiere at in Toronto, and exhibited at the Vancouver Film Festival earlier this month.
Director: Juhn Jai-hong
Sales agent: Finecut
Why it’s hot: Up-and-coming director brings edginess to the dramatic, action-packed story about the divided Korean peninsula that the esteemed Kim Ki-duk scripted. The noir tale is full of ironic twists, sarcastic humor and steamy chemistry between hot lead actors Yoon Kye-sang and Kim Gyu-ri.
The Front Line
Director: Jang Hoon
Sales agent: Showbox/Mediaplex
Why it’s hot: “It” director Jang teams up with Joint Security Area scriptwriter Park Sang-yeon for a Korean War flick with the usual explosive battle scenes but with a novel pacifist spin. Actor Goh Soo shows he’s not just a pretty boy anymore with some serious acting opposite Shin Ha-kyun, who also measures up to his heightened reputation since Joint Security Area.
Invasion of Alien Bikini
Director: Oh Young-doo
Sales agent: Indie Story
Why it’s hot: Oh, who has been garnering a cult following for fantasy flicks like The Neighbor Zombie, promises a zany mix of sex comedy and sci-fi horror. The plotline in itself easily stands out: a young man who’s taken a chastity vow must fight to resist the seduction of an alien trapped inside a beautiful woman’s body in need of human sperm to procreate.
Director: Hwang Dong-hyeok
Sales agent: CJ E&M Pictures
Why it’s hot: Based on a true case of teachers sexually abusing hearing- impaired children, the film is not only topping the Korean box office but also igniting a nationwide movement to change related laws.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera