Elisabeth Murdoch to Leave Shine Group CEO Post to Alex Mahon
UPDATED: Starting in September, she will focus on the chairman role at the production firm owned by father Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.
LONDON -- Shine Group, founded by Rupert Murdoch daughter Elisabeth Murdoch, has promoted Alex Mahon to the role of CEO.
Murdoch will give up that title and focus on her chairman role of the production firm that her father's News Corp. acquired last year.
Mahon will assume full responsibility for day-to-day management.
The change takes effect in September.
Mahon joined Shine Group in 2006 when she started a managing director of Shine TV.
“As Shine further diversifies across genres, geographies and platforms, I believe that the continued growth of the company requires the chairman and CEO roles to be distinct and separate," said Elisabeth Murdoch. "Alex has earned this new leadership position in recognition of her substantial contribution to Shine’s growth from a single U.K.-based production company a decade ago to the global business we run today."
She added: "The division of duties will focus Alex’s attention on managing the operational business, whilst allowing me to concentrate on identifying future strategic opportunities and remaining the custodian of Shine’s unique culture of creative excellence."
Said Mahon: "I am delighted to take on the chief executive office at Shine Group. It is a privilege to be given such an opportunity by Liz and our creative leaders."
A couple of Wall Street observers suggested that Murdoch's decision to drop the CEO title could also open her up for a broader role at News Corp. or its entertainment business once that splits from the publishing assets.
But a News Corp. spokeswoman said: "This is really about her being able to spend more time on the creative aspects of Shine."
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David