Elizabeth Taylor’s Secret About James Dean Revealed
She tells an interviewer that it's "off the record until I die."
Elizabeth Taylor revealed a secret about James Dean during an interview for POV magazine 14 years ago -- but she made writer Kevin Sessums promise not to publish it until she died.
"I loved Jimmy. I'm going to tell you something, but it's off the record until I die. OK?" she said, according to Sessums in a new piece for The Daily Beast.
"When Jimmy was 11 and his mother passed away, he began to be molested by his minister. I think that haunted him the rest of his life," alleged Taylor. "In fact, I know it did. We talked about it a lot. During Giant we'd stay up nights and talk and talk, and that was one of the things he confessed to me."
Taylor also opened up about working with Tennessee Williams.
"I adored Tennessee," she told Sessums. "He was one of my best friends. He was hopelessly naive, however. He had no business sense. I stepped in and tried to act as his agent when I found out what he was not getting. He thought he had himself a good deal. He was getting 5 percent of the profits of the films of his plays. So I said, 'Tennessee, there is no such thing in the movie business as a profit, much less 5 percent of it. It's about the gross. Have you ever made any money off your films?' He said, no, he had not. 'Tennessee!' I screamed at him. 'That's why!' So I took him in hand. I loved him dearly."
Taylor explained why she didn't want to write a memoir: "I would have to give up today. And dive into yesterday. You can't predict tomorrow. And my life has had so many startling tomorrows that I don't think they've stopped."
Taylor was 15 minutes late to her own funeral Thursday.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama