Ellen Barkin Angry at NYPD for 'Random Arrests' on New Year's, Alleging 'Cop Shoved Me Onto Sidewalk' (Video)
Her boyfriend, "Another Happy Day" director Sam Levinson, posted a video of Barkin's encounter with a NYPD officer during the early hours of new year's day.
Director Sam Levinson frequently films his girlfriend, actress Ellen Barkin -- most recently in Another Happy Day with Demi Moore.
But the latest video out of the director's hands is a controversial one: early on new year's day, as the two were walking home in New York City, Levinson recorded Barkin in an encounter with a NYPD officer on the street, and Barkin appears upset as the officer puts his hands on her and moves her to the sidewalk.
First she tweets: "Walking home...13th & 6th, police making random arrests of non protesters.Young girl in police van screaming"I'm just trying 2 get home." She continues, "People being thrown in police vans, arrested for 'jaywalking' What happened to the NYPD of my youth?Who are u all?Shame shame on u all."
Levinson tweets, "#NYPD Wildin out on random civilians on 5th ave Just watched a girl get arrested while trying 2 cross 13th st 2meet her bf @OccupyWallStNYC."
Shortly afterward, Barkin describes the police confrontation Levinson captured on tape: "Just threatened on my street by NYPD,cop shoved me,both hands,onto sidewalk..Is it a crime 2 stand in the street in NY?WTF is going on here?"
Barkin's anger escalates: "NOT MY CITY! NYPD violent attacks & arrests of any1 they can get their hands on Very few actual protesters,just random people in the streets."
Barkin's 76,000+ twitter followers had split reactions -- many were upset on her behalf, pointing her to live streaming video footage and other New Yorkers on twitter who alleged they too encountered police brutality.
"Fuck all of u,Bloomberg & every1 goose-stepping behind u.I cannot believe what I am seeing.U protect nothing.U ARE the violence in my city."
After responding to negative comments on her 140-character opinions, Barkin tweeted one last time before finally signing off to bed: "I am sorry for that ugly end to a very difficult year. Let's hope we do better in 2012. And to all a good night."
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'