Elton John Finishes New Album, Eyes September Release Date
Says the iconic entertainer of the T Bone Burnett-produced "The Diving Board:" It's "the most piano-oriented album of my career."
Elton John has finished what he calls "the most piano-oriented album of my career" and is looking at a release in September.
Titled The Diving Board, the 13-track album comprises songs written in two sessions with lyricist Bernie Taupin. The first was in January 2012 soon after the completion of his album with Leon Russell, The Union. Four others were written and recorded in January of this year.
"We wrote 11 songs in three and recorded them in four days," John told a small group of friends, associates and journalists at Los Angeles’ Village Studios on Friday afternoon.
After a year, John and Taupin were able to revisit the project, write a few more songs and finish the album. "In hindsight, I realize I never had that before," he said of being able to step away from compositions for a good period of time.
T Bone Burnett, who produced The Union, produced the new album as well. They kept the accompaniment minimal -- Jay Bellerose on drums, Raphael Saadiq on bass, Keefus Ciancia on keyboards, Doyle Bramhall on guitar and Motown legend Jack Ashford on percussion. John was keen to point out that the block Ashford used on his "A Town Called Jubilee" was the one used on Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On."
The album is a mix of gospel, blues, jazz, brass band music, pop and a waltz -- "everything I love about American music," he said. Taupin treats each song as a short story that, in turn, giving the work a cinematic feel.
"This is the album I should be making after The Union. It's my most adult album."
See the track listing for John’s The Diving Board below:
"Oscar Wilde Gets Out"
"A Town Called Jubilee"
"The Ballad of Blind Tom"
"Can’t Stay Alone Tonight"
"Take This Dirty Water"
"The New Fever Waltz"
"Mexican Vacation (Kids in the Candlelight)"
"The Diving Board"
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Captain America' Conquers Box Office For Third Straight Week
- Jordin Sparks' Wears A Bikini To The Opening Of Tao Beach, Jason Derulo Joins Her In Gym Clothes
- Watch Bruce Springsteen Cover Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl'
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Justin Bartha & Lia Smith Reportedly Welcome Baby Girl!
- Idina Menzel Sings 'Take Me or Leave Me' with Two Lucky Fans for Charity - Watch Now!
- Vanessa Hudgens Sees Hearts While Dancing at Coachella!
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress