Emilio Romano Suddenly Departs Telemundo
UPDATED: He arrived two years ago to head the Spanish language network and mun2. A search is on for his successor.
After two years as president of Telemundo, Emilio Romano has left the network, it was announced to employees on Friday by Joe Uva, NBCUniversal’s chairman of Hispanic enterprises and content.
Romano had oversight not just of the Spanish language network, but also of its owned TV stations, international operations, production and Mun2, the English language network aimed at Hispanic viewers in the U.S.
Romano’s departure, effective immediately, comes on the heels of corporate reorganization which saw Lauren Zalaznick lose oversight of Telemundo to Bonnie Hammer. Zalaznick, who had brought Romano in, left NBCUniversal herself last month.
Romano started his career in the Mexican Ministry of Finance, worked at Televisa, was on the board of Univision, ran Mexico's largest cable company and the Mexican airline Mexicana before joining Telemundo.
In a memo to employees, Uva praised Romano, saying: "His focus on positioning Telemundo to take share from Univision, and mun2 to better resonate with the rapidly growing millennial population has established a foundation for growth. As a result, he has been instrumental in elevating the perception of Telemundo in the marketplace. Most recently, he has been a good partner to me."
The exec has been credited with making significant changes while at Telemundo in programming strategy and the line up to make it more competitive.
Uva said that they are beginning an immediate search for his replacement and added that until a successor is found he will be "spending more time in Hialeah," the suburb of Miami where Telemundo is based.
Romano's departure comes shortly after Cesar Conde left Univision to take a top corporate job at NBCUniversal to work on business development.
Whoever replaces Romano will be the third person to hold the job in the last four years.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Captain America' Conquers Box Office For Third Straight Week
- Jordin Sparks' Wears A Bikini To The Opening Of Tao Beach, Jason Derulo Joins Her In Gym Clothes
- Watch Bruce Springsteen Cover Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl'
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Justin Bartha & Lia Smith Reportedly Welcome Baby Girl!
- Idina Menzel Sings 'Take Me or Leave Me' with Two Lucky Fans for Charity - Watch Now!
- Vanessa Hudgens Sees Hearts While Dancing at Coachella!
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress