Eminem Tipped To Win Album of the Year at Grammy Awards
The rapper will perform tonight with Dr. Dre and may walk away with the night's big awards.
Despite nominations in years past for Album of the Year, Eminem has never won that coveted category.
That may change tonight, as the rapper, who is up for 10 nods in total, is tipped as the one to watch for the coveted Album of the Year trophy, a category for which he's had three nominations but never a win.
The Los Angeles Times' Todd Martens wrote earlier this week: "The favorite for this year's top prize is Eminem...'Recovery' is thoughtful and serious, with a darker, less hook-filled tone." But Martens cautioned that the Grammy voters sometimes surprise in this particular category, noting that the rapper was "bested before by Steely Dan and Norah Jones" in years past.
The artist’s Recovery was a commercial smash as well as a critical favorite and marked a return for the rapper, who battled drug addiction and talked candidly about his struggles on the 17-song-set.
Despite considerable momentum behind the Michigan native, a win is far from guaranteed: his competition this year includes heavyweights across multiple genres of music.
Regardless, look for Eminem, who recently turned up in two high-profile Super Bowl commercials, to win at least a few trophies in Los Angeles today, even if Album of the Year eludes the Grammy winner (he has won multiple rap solo performances in the past).
If he doesn't win Album of The Year, he may take Record of the Year.
2011 Grammy oddsmakers have listed Eminem as a +120 favorite to win Record of the Year with "Love the Way You Lie."
Dr. Dre will join his protege Eminem onstage on tonight’s show (CBS, 8 p.m.), as the Hollywood Reporter exclusively reported earlier this week.
It will mark the rap icon's first live television performance in more than a decade and comes on the heels of a stellar year for Eminem, who not only has the best-selling album of 2010 with Recovery, but is also up for ten awards (he's won a total of 11 Grammys since breaking onto the scene in 1999).
Eminem is also rumored to perform some kind of duet with Rhianna this evening (the pair had one of 2010’s biggest hits with the haunting “Love The Way You Lie.”)
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Third Person' Trailer Shows Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde, Liam Neeson Feeling Everything
- AMC's Hit Reality Show 'Small Town Security' Is Back For Season 3
- Bride Gives Groom 'Ghostbusters' Cake, Proves That She's A Keeper
- Ted Neeley, Original 'Jesus Christ Superstar,' Hopes Pope Francis Will Come To The Musical