Emma Thompson deals with 'mild depression'
Actress opens up on the emotional demands of acting
Oscar-winning actress and screenwriter Emma Thompson has a confession to make: She has weaknesses too.
"I find the job I do emotionally very demanding," the Brit told THR, referring to her job as an entertainer. "I suffer from occasional mild depression, which I think is a very common thing -- it's fantastically common in my country and probably in yours, too -- and it's a very much hidden thing people don't talk about. I think it should be discussed."
Thompson, who received a star on the Walk of Fame on Friday, revealed that she would be taking some time off after steadily working for years. Fellow actors Hugh Laurie and Maggie Gyllenhaal were present at the ceremony.
"Next year, I'm going to take a sabbatical," Thompson revealed.
She later added: "I'm not going to fundraise or perform or travel, except in pursuit of new vistas with my family. I've been meaning to do this for a long, long time, but it's been like putting the brakes on a large ship because there is so much going on."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack