Emma Thompson deals with 'mild depression'
Actress opens up on the emotional demands of acting
Oscar-winning actress and screenwriter Emma Thompson has a confession to make: She has weaknesses too.
"I find the job I do emotionally very demanding," the Brit told THR, referring to her job as an entertainer. "I suffer from occasional mild depression, which I think is a very common thing -- it's fantastically common in my country and probably in yours, too -- and it's a very much hidden thing people don't talk about. I think it should be discussed."
Thompson, who received a star on the Walk of Fame on Friday, revealed that she would be taking some time off after steadily working for years. Fellow actors Hugh Laurie and Maggie Gyllenhaal were present at the ceremony.
"Next year, I'm going to take a sabbatical," Thompson revealed.
She later added: "I'm not going to fundraise or perform or travel, except in pursuit of new vistas with my family. I've been meaning to do this for a long, long time, but it's been like putting the brakes on a large ship because there is so much going on."
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Captain America' Conquers Box Office For Third Straight Week
- Jordin Sparks' Wears A Bikini To The Opening Of Tao Beach, Jason Derulo Joins Her In Gym Clothes
- Watch Bruce Springsteen Cover Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl'
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Justin Bartha & Lia Smith Reportedly Welcome Baby Girl!
- Idina Menzel Sings 'Take Me or Leave Me' with Two Lucky Fans for Charity - Watch Now!
- Vanessa Hudgens Sees Hearts While Dancing at Coachella!
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress