Emmys 2011: 'Good Wife' Creators Michelle and Robert King to Celebrate 9 Noms With Champagne
They are especially pleased with Josh Charles' nomination because "sometime we feel like Josh doesn’t get the credit he deserves because [the show] is seen as more women-friendly," Robert tells THR.
The Good Wife creators Michelle and Robert King aren’t sure they’re worthy of nine Emmy nominations.
After all, the husband and wife writing team couldn’t figure out how to turn on their TV to get the news. “We thought, we shouldn't get a television award if we can’t figure out how to turn it on,” says Michelle, with a chuckle.
PHOTOS: 2011 Emmy Nominations
The Academy thought otherwise. In the critically acclaimed drama’s second season, it scored nine nominations, including outstanding drama and six acting nods.
By the time the couple, who ultimately found the news online, got down the nominations list to the show’s supporting actor nods for Alan Cumming and Josh Charles they were dancing. “Sometime we feel like Josh doesn’t get the credit he deserves because it’s seen as more women-friendly,” says Robert. “I just think they’ve both been doing extraordinary work.”
STORY: Emmy Nominations: 'Mildred Pierce,' 'Mad Men' Lead
He adds, “We were really thrilled with the sophomore season. And to see that people weren’t just patting us on the head and saying, ‘How nice for a network show, now go play in a corner’ was really thrilling.”
Adds Michelle, “it’s realty a fantastic way to start season three.”
In fact, the duo begins shooting the third season Friday, which means there’s little time for celebration. “We’re going to have a little champagne with the writing staff,” says Robert, adding, “but probably only a quarter cup for everyone because everyone has to be building the next episode.”
STORY: Emmy Nominations: Stars and Execs React
And while the political realm is providing lots of fodder (see Anthony Weiner, Dominique Strauss-Kahn), don’t expect to see too many ripped-from-the-headlines plotlines next season. “We’re writing three months ahead of broadcast, so the difficulty is what’s exciting now is what’s exciting in September,” says Robert, before his wife chimes in, “And you can’t top reality, even if you want to.”
Editor's note: The original headline for this story erroneously stated that The Good Wife earned 8 nominations. The progam has 9 nominations.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!