While on-screen talent may be the red carpet's public faces, the stylists are the real belles of the ball, tirelessly ensuring that every wrinkle is steamed, jiggle is tamed and potential nip slip is, uh, nipped in the bud before it ever sees the light of day. Not to mention their impeccable taste in planning an entire red carpet look in the first place.
But in between a stylist's initial trip to a designer's showroom and the final red carpet reveal, there's a lot of schlepping, planning and decision making that the Emmys viewing-public doesn't get to see.
Luckily, a bevy of super stylists are as obsessed with Instagram as we are and spent the last few days snapping and posting pictures of their Emmys outfit prep, giving us an intimate birds eye view of exactly what goes into getting ready for an awards show.
Here are 8 of our favorite Emmys prep posts from the stylists themselves, Spanx and all.
8. Stylist Karla Welch, along with partner Kemal Harris, handled the winning looks of Zooey Deschanel, Amy Poehler and Elizabeth Moss on Emmys night. The prep started in this highly organized, anti-wardrobe malfunction post from September 20, below.
7. Stylist Penny Lovell posed with client Rose Byrne, who stunned in a deep rose-hued, modernly minimalist number by Calvin Klein.
6. Stylist Tara Swennen put Big Bang Theory star Kaley Cuoco in a scarlet -hued Vera Wang gown, and seemed to have some fun with her team along the way.
5. Sisterly styling team Wendi and Nicole Ferreria had some major last minute decisions to make for client Anna Faris on Sunday morning. The ultimate winner? That canary yellow Monique Lhullier number hanging at left.
4. Christina Erlich, who holds the number 7 spot on THR's annual 25 Most Powerful Stylists in Hollywood list, went on a jewel hunt with client Allison Williams on September 21. The Girls star ultimately wore vintage Fred Leighton jewels that perfectly complimented her simple, blue Ralph Lauren gown.
3. Hours before the ceremony began, stylist Kate Young beautifully captured the metallic Charlotte Olympia heels, simple Forevermark diamonds and plexiglass Rauwolf clutch used to accessorize Game of Thrones star Emilia Clarke's custom Donna Karan Atelier gown.
2. On September 21, Brad Goreski wondered if mid-hair wash was a good time to ask client Laura Dern about ear candy. Apparently it wasn't, as the Lorraine Schwartz earrings Dern ultimately sported on the Emmys carpet weren't the ones pictured dangling over the hair basin.
1. This regram from Hollywood Reporter style editor Carol McColgin, who styled Breaking Bad star Anna Gunn for the 65th annual Emmys on Sunday, and posted to THR's official style team Instagram @PretaReporter, shows beauty in progress.