Jimmy Kimmel's Parents Didn't Know He'd Kick Them Out of the Emmys
After guards escorted the pair from their seats, security delays meant they missed half an hour of the show.
This story first appeared in the Oct. 5 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
Emmy host Jimmy Kimmel's parents claim they weren't in on the telecast gag that had them escorted out of the Nokia Theatre.
Mid-broadcast, Kimmel called out to his mom, Joan, and dad, Jim, telling them he was crushed he hadn't won for best variety show. He had them ejected because, after they told him for years he could do anything he set his mind to, it turned out "you lied to me."
Real security guards materialized to rather roughly hoist them away -- perhaps accounting for Mama Kimmel's seemingly authentically perplexed reaction. "It wasn't a bit!" she insisted later that night.
Then, because of security, they couldn't get back to their seats for a half-hour. No harm, however. They were partying at Kimmel's Soho House bash until 1:30 a.m.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David