Tina Fey, Jerry Seinfeld Front Emmy Icons 2013 Portfolio
THE KING OF COMEDY
Jerry Seinfeld (15 noms, 1 win)
If you -- like legions of Seinfeld fans -- are still holding out for a heartwarming reunion special, Seinfeld has disappointing news. "It's never going to happen," he says of reviving his iconic 1990s sitcom. That 2009 reunion arc on Seinfeld co-creator Larry David's HBO series Curb Your Enthusiasm notwithstanding, Seinfeld is not much for stunts. And the comedy's status as a top-three series for its final five seasons provided the kind of freedom to push back.
"We'd get calls from NBC saying, 'We want to do a night where every sitcom deals with a blackout,' or whatever, and we'd say, 'Good luck! We have another story that we think is funnier. And, we care more about our audience." But the 59-year-old Brooklyn native does care about validation from his peers, which is why his 1993 Emmy win for best comedy series was so satisfying. "You want to win the championship," he admits.
Two decades later, the still-touring comedian was back in the Emmy race this year, this time for his digital series, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. He also has taken to Twitter to stay connected to his loyal following, but he claims not to read the popular Modern Seinfeld feed. Were there to be a contemporary version of the show, Seinfeld says its characters would still be "somewhat dysfunctional, [with] some kids, some divorces and unique social situations." He says he watches little on TV outside of Mad Men and baseball. And does he ever catch a ubiquitous Seinfeld rerun? "Nope," replies the father of three kids with his wife of 15 years, Jessica. "But my kids do."
Photographed by Andrew Hetherington on Sept. 4 at Jack Studios in New York City
Next … The Spring Chickens: William Shatner and Cloris Leachman
- Aaron Paul
- Bryan Cranston
- Ed Asner
- James Earl Jones
- James Gandolfini
- Jerry Seinfeld
- Kelly Osbourne
- Larry David
- Marshall Herskovitz
- Matthew Weiner
- Ozzy Osbourne
- Sharon Osbourne
- Tina Fey
- Alfre Woodard
- Charlie Collier
- John Wells
- Sheila Nevins
- Greg Daniels
- Robert Carlock
- Hank Azaria
- Christopher Lloyd
- Emmys 2013
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer, 'X-Men' Director, Calls Suit A 'Sick, Twisted Shakedown'
- The Club 47 Folk Revival Explores the Iconic History of Old Cambridge Folk Club
- Jack Kilmer Talks 'Palo Alto,' His Acting Career And Growing Up With Famous Parents
- Lupita Nyong'o and America's Complicated Relationship With Beauty