Tina Fey, Jerry Seinfeld Front Emmy Icons 2013 Portfolio
Alfre Woodard (17 noms, 4 wins)
With an Oscar nomination for the 1983 period drama Cross Creek and a film résumé that boasts more than 40 titles -- including the critically acclaimed Grand Canyon, Primal Fear and Fox Searchlight's buzzy forthcoming awards contender 12 Years a Slave -- it's easy to forget Woodard is a record-shattering television icon.
Not only is she the most nominated nonseries performer (guest and miniseries/movie roles), but the Tulsa, Okla., native is also the most lauded black actor in TV history, having earned more accolades than other barrier-breaking stars such as Cicely Tyson and Andre Braugher.
Such a tidal wave of attention understandably can cloud the actress' memory. "Gosh … I know I wore a blue dress!" laughs Woodard, 60, of her first Emmy win in 1984 for a three-episode arc on NBC's Hill Street Blues. "It's funny: When you act, your job is to work with the director to find your character. Then suddenly you go to this big party, and maybe you'll get to shout, 'Bingo!' The nomination really does hit you; it's the thing that says, 'OK, I'm on the right track.' "
As for her distinction among black actors, Woodard is frank about the challenges facing all performers trying to break into the business. "Most actors, whatever color or size or age, are pigeonholed," she says. "So you have to think past the obvious and find the specificity in that role, even if on the page it seems obvious."
With recent nominated arcs on Desperate Housewives, True Blood and this year for her acclaimed reinvention of Ouiser in Lifetime's Steel Magnolias reboot, Woodard nonetheless can't hide her gratitude. "I've been so fortunate," she says with a smile.
Photographed by Fabrizio Maltese on Sept. 6 at Brassaii in Toronto
Next … The Creators: John Wells, Christopher Lloyd, Greg Daniels, Marshall Herskovitz and Mitchell Hurtwitz
- Aaron Paul
- Bryan Cranston
- Ed Asner
- James Earl Jones
- James Gandolfini
- Jerry Seinfeld
- Kelly Osbourne
- Larry David
- Marshall Herskovitz
- Matthew Weiner
- Ozzy Osbourne
- Sharon Osbourne
- Tina Fey
- Alfre Woodard
- Charlie Collier
- John Wells
- Sheila Nevins
- Greg Daniels
- Robert Carlock
- Hank Azaria
- Christopher Lloyd
- Emmys 2013
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 10 Reimagined Disney Posters Bring Your Favorite Childhood Characters Back To Life
- DOCUMENTARY: How One Email Changed One Guy's Life... Forever
- Miley Cyrus Shows Off Her Sex Toy On Twitter, Should Seriously Be Taught What TMI Means
- Here's Everything Wrong With 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull'
- Diane Kruger Ties Up Her Shirt to Reveal Her Flat Stomach
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Reenacts YouTube Viral Sensation 'David at the Dentist' - Watch Now!
- Michelle Obama Hosts Women in Soul Event, President Barack Obama Flubs Spelling of Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'
- Find Out How Oprah Winfrey Got Fooled By Princess Diana!