England's First Match of Euro 2012 Soccer Cup Draws Majority of British TV Audience
UPDATED: The country's opening match of the European soccer championships averaged 12.3 million viewers on ITV1, or a 56 percent share, while France's TF1 also drew a big audience.
England's and France's first match of the Euro 2012 European soccer championships on Monday drew strong ratings for the broadcasters in the respective countries, with Britain's ITV and France's TF1 both reporting a majority share of the national TV audience at the time.
The late Monday afternoon/early evening soccer match between the two big European countries drew an average of 12.3 million viewers, or a 56 percent share, for British broadcaster ITV, the company said Tuesday. The ratings for ITV1 outperformed the company's audience reach for the 2008 tournament in a couple of key metrics.
TF1 said that 10.2 million people watched with a peak of 14 million towards the end of the game, more than a 50 percent share for the time slot. The network said that this was the best performance for TF1 for a game broadcast at the end of the afternoon since 2006.
Over the weekend, big European soccer nations saw TV audiences of 60-80 percent for their home team's opening games.
Including pre-game and post-game coverage, an average of 9 million viewers, or a 47 percent share of the total TV audience at the time, watched the game on ITV1, according to the company.
In comparison, the BBC earlier this month drew an average of 14.7 million viewers, for a 57.4 percent share, with its broadcast of the star-studded concert to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II's diamond jubilee. That was the biggest British TV audience of the year so far.
At its peak, Monday's soccer game reached an audience of 15.3 million, or a share of 60 percent, marking ITV1's highest peak audience of the year to date.
Both the peak audience and the average audience across the game coverage came in above the performance of any Euro 2008 match broadcast on ITV1, the broadcaster also said.
The ITV coverage of England's Monday match also boosted traffic to the broadcaster's web site. Its itv.com/sport site attracted 428,740 unique visitors on Monday and at its peak served 240,000 simultaneous live streams of the game to computers and mobile devices, ITV said.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!