Ennio Morricone Cancels Rome Tour Dates Over Health Concerns

Kevin Winter/Getty Images
Ennio Morricone

The Oscar-winning composer is set to continue his European tour over the summer.

Ennio Morricone has canceled an upcoming May concert series with the Rome Santa Cecilia National Academy orchestra and choir due to collapsed vertebrae. Doctors have ordered bed rest for the prolific composer through the end of June. 

The 87-year-old Morricone previously canceled North American tour dates in 2014 due to a back injury when he was slated to perform in Los Angeles and New York. 

The canceled concerts in Rome will be replaced with a viewing of Leonard Bernstein's West Side Story accompanied by a live orchestra. 

"I am very sorry," Morricone said Wednesday in a statement to fans, saying the concerts would be rescheduled. 

A spokesman for the composer said that previously announced European tour dates will continue as planned, including concerts announced in Paris; Oxfordshire, England; and in Copenhagen later this year. 

Morricone won his first competitive Oscar this year for scoring Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight. At 87, he is thought to be the oldest Academy Award winner. He previously had earned an honorary Oscar from the Academy.

Over his 70-year career, Morricone has scored more than 500 film and TV shows as well as 100 classical works. Italian director and frequent collaborator Giuseppe Tornatore currently is directing a documentary about the composer's life and work. 

comments powered by Disqus