Eric Bana Will Not Play Elvis in 'Elvis & Nixon'
The actor tells THR he's no longer attached to portray The King in Cary Elwes' directorial debut.
Eric Bana says he's not playing Elvis Presley in Elvis & Nixon, the directorial debut of Cary Elwes.
"I'm not doing that. I was attached for a while, but I'm no longer attached," Bana told The Hollywood Reporter at Sunday's screening of his latest movie, Deadfall, at the Tribeca Film Festival.
In October, Bana was announced as the actor playing The King, with Danny Huston taking on the equally iconic and oft-impersonated character of President Nixon. Bana is known for a spot-on Elvis impersonation.
Bana was named as an executive producer on the film -- which centers on a 1970 meeting between Elvis and Nixon at the White House -- through his Pick Up Truck Pictures, marking the company's first U.S. production.
Elwes co-wrote the script with Joey Sagal and Hanala Sagal; the project is financed by producer Michael Benaroya (Margin Call).
"You have a lot to overcome in terms of meeting or beating people's expectations," Benaroya said of the film in a recent interview with THR.
The WME-repped Bana portrays a murderous fugitive in the Tribeca thriller Deadfall, which co-stars Olivia Wilde, Kris Kristofferson and Sissy Spacek. Deadfall premiered at the festival.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Jem & the Holograms' Leading Cast Revealed: Aubrey Peeples, Stefanie Scott, & More!
- Novak Djokovic Expecting First Child with Fiancee Jelena Ristic!
- Suki Waterhouse Gets Leggy at the Burberry Shanghai Launch with Cara Delevingne
- Isabel Lucas is Picture Perfect with Jim Sturgess at Tribeca Film Fest!