Ethan Embry: 'I Was So Stoned' During 'Can't Hardly Wait' Filming
The actor also reveals his disappointment with the teen movie, which he says was changed significantly for a PG-13 rating.
Ethan Embry says he "was so stoned" during the making of the cult-favorite movie Can't Hardly Wait, he can't remember much about the filming, apart from the director asking him if he was "altered."
"At the time, when we were shooting, I was the world’s biggest stoner," Embry told VH1. "I remember the director came up to me and asked if I was 'altered.' But other than that, nothing sticks out because I was so stoned the entire time."
His heavy smoking also led co-star Jennifer Love Hewitt to give him 50 breath mints before one of their scenes.
Embry suggests his "altered" state during filming may be responsible for him not knowing quotes from the movie 15 years later, and he claims he can't remember whether he does backflips in one scene because he was so high.
But the actor does reveal his disappointment that the film's original, edgier script changed before Can't Hardly Wait was released.
"The script that we read was a very different script than what everybody saw," says Embry. “We had an R-rated script, and a lot of the characters ended up getting cut out so that we could make PG-13. ...That was before American Pie came out. So it was before it was OK for studios to make a raunchy comedy with high school characters."
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David