Etta James Funeral and Memorial Details Released
The legendary singer died from complications of leukemia at the age of 73 at a hospital in Riverside, Calif. Jan. 20.
Famed rhythm and blues singer Etta James died Jan. 20, five days away from her 74 birthday after battling leukemia, dementia and hepatitis C.
On Tuesday, it was announced that a public viewing would be held at the Inglewood Cemetery in Inglewood, Calif. Friday, Jan. 27 before a private funeral service at 10 a.m. Saturday for "immediate family and friends," at the Greater Bethany Community Church City of Refuge in Gardena, Calif, CNN reports.
The Rev. Al Sharpton will preside over the service according the the "At Last" singer's family. They have requested that any donations be sent to the Rhythm & Blues Foundation.
The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, whose other hits include “All I Could Do Is Cry,” “Sunday Kind of Love,” “Pushover,” “Tell Mama” and a version of Muddy Waters’ “I Just Want to Make Love to You,” moved among blues, R&B, gospel, jazz and rock ’n’ roll during her six-decade career, influencing such artists as Janis Joplin,Christina Aguilera, Adele and Beyonce Knowles, who portrayed James in the 2008 film Cadillac Records and serenaded first couple Barack and Michelle Obama with the song "At Last" on election night of that same year.
James, who died due to complications from leukemia, was diagnosed in 2009 with Alzheimer’s disease, was hospitalized in 2010 because of a dangerous staph infection and hospitalized again in May with a blood infection. Other health problems were self-inflicted: James had a decade-long addiction to heroin that frequently put her in psychiatric hospitals for weeks at a time.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack