Danish Soccer Player Fined for Revealing Company Logo During Euro 2012 Match
Nicklas Bendtner is accused of ambush marketing for a company that isn't a sponsor of the widely televised tournament.
Denmark soccer star Nicklas Bendtner has been banned for one match and fined €100,000 ($126,200) for showing the logo of a betting firm on his underwear during his celebration of a goal at the Euro 2012 soccer championship.
The Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) announced the decision on Monday.
Since the betting firm isn't an official sponsor of the Euro 2012 tournament, it argued that the player breached its rules for exclusive sponsorship deals and against ambush marketing by showing off a brand name in the widely televised match. Ambush marketing concerns have also been raised ahead of the London 2012 Summer Olympics.
Bendtner had pulled up his shirt during his celebration of a goal against Portugal last week, revealing the name of Irish betting firm Paddy Power on the waistband of his underpants.
The star, who plays his club soccer at London-based Arsenal, has the right to appeal the ban and fine within three days.
“It is just a pair of lucky boxer shorts that I used in the first game as well and have used before the tournament," the Irish Times quoted Bendtner as saying. "I didn’t know I was breaking any rules but I am aware of that now.”
The Danish team was eliminated from Euro 2012 Sunday night after a 2-1 defeat to Germany.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)