EXCLUSIVE: Joseph Cross, Jessica Szohr Starring in Indie 'Art Machine'
'Running With Scissors' star and 'Gossip Girl' actress have been cast alongside Joey Lauren Adams in the indie drama.
Joseph Cross and Gossip Girl's Jessica Szohr are starring in the indie drama Art Machine, now shooting in New York for director Doug Karr. Joey Lauren Adams also is in the movie, which is produced by Aimee McCabe, Mynette Louie and Roy GoKay Wol.
The script, by Karr and Nuno Faustino, centers on a child-prodigy painter (Cross) on the verge of turning 18 who is suffering from bipolar disorder and needs to come up with an art show to end all art shows. When he meets a group of artist-anarchists, his world turns upside down.
Szohr plays one of the outlaw hipsters, a pyrotechnic artist who is attracted to the prodigy, but as his manic madness grows, she becomes concerned for his safety. Adams is Cross' mother.
Karr is a filmmaker who started in documentaries before moving into narrative storytelling. His short film Ten for Grandpa premiered at last year's Sundance Film Festival.
The movie is being financed through private equity.
UTA-repped Cross starred in Running With Scissors and appeared in Milk.
Szohr, who plays Vanessa Abrams on Gossip, most recently appeared onscreen in Piranha. She's repped by ICM and Luber Roklin Entertainment.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Christopher Meloni on Surviving Jack, Surviving Dinosaurs, and Why His Oz Character Was Revolutionary
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills