EXCLUSIVE: Old Spice Guy confirms lead role in Tyler Perry movie
Isaiah Mustafa talks to THR about casting swap
Old Spice Guy a.k.a Isaiah Mustafa has nabbed his first lead role in the latest installment of Tyler Perry's "Madea" franchise, "Madea's Big Happy Family," he told THR exclusively.
"I got a call from my manager a week and a half ago who told me that I would be in 'Madea's Big Happy Family,'" Mustafa said. "It was confirmed last Monday, and I left on Friday to begin filming."
Alongside stars Loretta Devine (as his mother-in-law) and Bow Wow (as his brother-in-law), the man branded as the Old Spice Guy plays Calvin, who is struggling with his marriage and family relationships. It has not been announced who will play his opposite.
Mustafa bowed out of Tyler Perry's film "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf" in exchange for "Madea." He is unclear why the switch was made but remains grateful for the opportunity.
"I don't know why Mr. Perry made the swap," said Mustafa, who was not contracted to "Colored Girls." "I didn't ask him his reasoning. I'm just really happy to have gotten this role. It's one of the leads, where in 'Colored Girls,' I would have been just been in one or two scenes."
Filming began this week in Atlanta. Mustafa is on location through early September, when it is slated to wrap.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game