Um, donkey semen? Yep, TV vet David Goldberg, now with Steve Harvey and Honey Boo Boo, contends with plenty of reality antics as he also moves into scripted.
More than a decade ago, david Goldberg helped pioneer the reality TV genre as founder of unscripted powerhouse Endemol North America. Such series as Fear Factor, Deal or No Deal and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition followed. More recently, the home of Big Brother and Wipeout launched Endemol Studios and acquired smaller production companies including 51 Minds (Flavor of Love), Authentic Entertainment (Here Comes Honey Boo Boo) and Original Media (Swamp People). Now, the Connecticut-reared executive and father of three, who spent several years at Telepictures, is pushing Endemol into new genres: scripted (AMC's Hell on Wheels) and syndicated daytime (Steve Harvey). The latter, for which he has been commuting from Los Angeles to Harvey's set in Chicago, is off to a strong start, with an impressive 1.0 rating in the key women 25-to-54 demographic. Goldberg, 48, sat down in his West Hollywood office -- the space that once belonged to Michael Jackson -- to discuss the genre ripe for a comeback, the cultural ramifications of Honey Boo Boo and the future (yes, there might well be more) of Fear Factor.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Theater: Fiona Shaw Rocks In One Of The Last Shows Of The Year
- Beyonce Surprises Fans With New Album Featuring Jay Z, Blue Ivy, Drake
- A Christmas Gift For You: A Conversation with Phil Spector & The Crystals' La La Brooks, Chatting with The Piano Guys, Plus Pink Martini and Sydney York Exclusives
- Live from the Dubai International Film Festival: Thursday, Dec. 12