'Face to Face,' 'Troubadours' Among Santa Barbara Int'l Film Fest Award Winners
Julian Napier's 'Carmen in 3D' was chosen as the film festival's closing night film.
Michael Rymer's Face to Face, an Australian film about an angry young man, was awarded the Panavision Spirit Award for Independent Cinema at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival, which concluded Sunday.
The prize for best international film went to Nathan Collett's Togetherness Supreme, a movie from Kenya, while the Swedish film Pure, by Alicia Vikander, earned a special jury mention.
The Nueva Vision Award for best Spanish/American film was presented to Patricio Guzman's Nostalgia for the Light (Nostalgia De La Luc), from Chile.
The Best East Meets West Cinema Award went to Yoshihiro Fukagawa's Patisserie (Colin de Rue), from Japan. And the Best Eastern Bloc Award went to the Romanian film If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle (Eu Cand Vreau Sa Fluier, Fluier), directed by Florin Serban.
Nostaliga was one of two films that were recognized with the Fund for Santa Barbara Social Justice Award. The other was Matt Hames' When I Rise.
Phil Grabsky's The Boy Mir: Ten Years in Afghanistan won the prize for best documentary film. The doc follows the coming of age of a boy in Afghanistan as he ages from 8 to 18.
Short film prizes were handed to Brent Bonacorso's West of the Moon and Andrew Ruhemann and Shaun Tan's The Lost Thing.
The SB Independent Audience Choice Award was given to Morgan Neville's Troubadours, which looks at the Los Angeles music scene from the late '60s to the early '70s.
Julian Napier's Carmen in 3D was the film festival's closing night film.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Underage Boy
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park