'The Face Reader' Shines at South Korea's Dae Jong Film Awards
The box office smash picked up six prizes at the Asian country's equivalent of the Oscars.
SEOUL -- The Face Reader won Best Film among a total six prizes at 50th Dae Jong (Grand Bell) Film Awards, South Korea’s equivalent of the Oscars. Miracle in Cell No. 7 and Snowpiercer also grabbed multiple awards.
The period drama by Han Jae-rim was originally nominated in 11 categories and won Best Director, Actor (Song Kang-ho shared the prize with Miracle in Cell No. 7’s Ryu Seung-ryong), Supporting Actor (Jo Jung-suk), Costume Design (Shim Hyeon-seob) and Popularity (Lee Jung-jae).
Currently showing in theaters and so far one of the year’s highest-grossing films, with 9.1 million admissions, the film, set during the Joseon Kingdom (1392-1910), is about a man with the ability to tell a person’s fate by reading their facial features.
Miracle in Cell No. 7, a family drama that became one of the most watched homespun films in Korean box-office history with over 12.8 million viewers, picked up four prizes, including Best Screenplay, Production and Special Awards.
Bong Joon Ho’s English-language debut film Snowpiercer, another box-office smash, took home trophies for Editing and Art Direction, while Ryu Seung-wan’s Berlin File won for Cinematography and Lighting.
Last year, the Dae Jong Awards provoked controversy as 15 of 22 award categories went to the same film, Masquerade.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama