Facebook Adds Trending Feature for Popular Topics
Taking a page from Twitter's playbook, the social network, led by CEO Mark Zuckerberg, will add the feature in news feeds over the next few weeks.
Facebook is taking a page from the Twitter playbook with the launch of Trending, a new feature that will showcase conversations and posts about popular topics.
Trending, announced Thursday morning, will appear in the top right of a user's Facebook news feed with a list of three trending topics and descriptions of why they are popular. Clicking on any of those topics will open a feed devoted to photos, videos and other related posts.
The topics are personalized to each user based on location, interests and what friends are talking about.
Chris Struhar, a news feed engineer, says Trending is especially suited for breaking news or live events. “I was watching the Golden Globes this past Sunday, and it was really cool as the show was airing to pull up the feed to see that it was trending,” he says.
Twitter has offered a similar feature, where it lists trending topics and hashtags to the left of its feed.
Facebook, led by CEO Mark Zuckerberg, first tested the feature over the summer. The company plans to roll out Trending to users in several major countries over the next few weeks.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game