Facebook Buys Atlas Advertiser Suite From Microsoft
The software giant paid about $6.3 billion for the platform in 2007.
Facebook paid an undisclosed sum to acquire Atlas Advertiser Suite from Microsoft, the company said Thursday.
Atlas is in part a measurement technology to help determine which ads should be displayed in front of which Internet surfers, and it had been part of Microsoft's disastrous purchase of aQuantive.
Microsoft paid about $6.3 billion for aQuantive in 2007. Last year, it took a writedown of $6.2 billion for that acquisition. Some have speculated that Facebook purchased Atlas for about $100 million.
"Many marketers that advertise on Facebook today use Atlas, and Atlas has been an approved partner for measurement since June," Facebook said in announcing the acquisition. "Today's agreement brings us closer together in a way that benefits both Facebook and Atlas' agency and marketer clients."
Atlas is based in Seattle and will continue to operate from there. Its clients shouldn't see changes to the service, and Facebook said it plans to invest in the Atlas platform.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!