Facebook Games Developer Zynga Acquires Newtoy
Zynga, the largest developer of games on Facebook, has acquired Newtoy, maker of the top game franchise for Apple iPhones, iPods and iPads.
Newtoy makes the Games With Friends line, which includes Words With Friends and Chess With Friends. Its Texas headquarters, where about two dozen people work, will become the Zynga With Friends Studio.
Financial terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
Zynga is best known as the company behind social network games Farmville and Mafia Wars, though it has been branching out into other platforms, including Apple devices and Google’s Android. Zynga, based in San Francisco, employs 1,300 people at studios in the U.S., Japan and Germany.
Newtoy was founded in 2008 by brothers Paul and David Bettner. The former will be vp and GM of the Zynga With Friends Studio, and the latter will be studio director. Newtoy COO Michael Chow becomes director of operations.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws