Facebook Games Developer Zynga Acquires Newtoy
Zynga, the largest developer of games on Facebook, has acquired Newtoy, maker of the top game franchise for Apple iPhones, iPods and iPads.
Newtoy makes the Games With Friends line, which includes Words With Friends and Chess With Friends. Its Texas headquarters, where about two dozen people work, will become the Zynga With Friends Studio.
Financial terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
Zynga is best known as the company behind social network games Farmville and Mafia Wars, though it has been branching out into other platforms, including Apple devices and Google’s Android. Zynga, based in San Francisco, employs 1,300 people at studios in the U.S., Japan and Germany.
Newtoy was founded in 2008 by brothers Paul and David Bettner. The former will be vp and GM of the Zynga With Friends Studio, and the latter will be studio director. Newtoy COO Michael Chow becomes director of operations.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Captain America' Conquers Box Office For Third Straight Week
- Jordin Sparks' Wears A Bikini To The Opening Of Tao Beach, Jason Derulo Joins Her In Gym Clothes
- Watch Bruce Springsteen Cover Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl'
- Justin Bartha & Lia Smith Reportedly Welcome Baby Girl!
- Idina Menzel Sings 'Take Me or Leave Me' with Two Lucky Fans for Charity - Watch Now!
- Vanessa Hudgens Sees Hearts While Dancing at Coachella!