Fairbanks Productions Preps Plans for Dusty Springfield Biopic
U.K. production banner project 'Dusty' to be based on Sharon Davis’s book 'A Girl Called Dusty.'
LONDON – The legendary story of the rise to fame of singer Dusty Springfield is to get the big screen treatment.
The script is based on Sharon Davis’s book, A Girl Called Dusty and is being developed and produced by Fairbanks , the label set up by Dominick Fairbanks, the great grandson and grandson of Hollywood legends Douglas Fairbanks and Douglas Fairbanks Jr.
Fairbanks Productions, based out of Twickenham Studios, has brought in Springfield’s former backing singer and friend Simon Bell, who became the singer’s carer for the last 14 months of her life, as a project consultant.
Fairbanks said Bell’s close friendship and intimate knowledge of Dusty’s life “will be invaluable in the making of this film.”
Three times Emmy nominee Nick Gillott will produce Dusty.
Fairbanks Productions said it is working with Universal Music, which owns the majority of the Springfield’s music catalog, and hopes “the most iconic Dusty Springfield hits and recordings will be used for the making of the film.”
The $30 million budgeted project is set up as a co-production between Fairbanks Productions and Arclight Films Los Angeles with the latter handling for the film, kicking off in Cannes this year.
The search for a writer, director and casting for the film are underway “on both sides of the Atlantic,” Fairbanks said.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR